Med Instead of Meds
What is Med Instead of Meds?
Med Instead of Meds is a cooking and nutrition program available to be implemented with churches, civic groups, and available at the N.C. Cooperative Extension of Johnston County office.
Med Instead of Meds was created by a group of nutrition and health professionals from NC State University and the NC Division of Public Health. Eating the Med Way (Mediterranean Way) has been proven to protect against chronic illnesses. In some cases, eating the Med Way may even result in decreasing medications taken for blood pressure, high cholesterol, or diabetes- that’s why we call it “Med Instead of Meds.” We are passionate about providing people with the information and tools needed to make delicious meals for themselves and their families. We, too, are on this journey with you to transform our eating to the Med Way.
*Check with your health-care professional before changing any prescribed medications.*
There is a pre-registration fee of $30 to cover the cost of ingredients. The fee covers information, materials, and tastings for all six classes. Register here!
Classes include instruction & hands-on cooking along with taste-testing at the end. This series will be held at the Johnston Ag Center (2736 NC 210 Hwy in Smithfield).
- Jan 14th, 5:30p-7:30p- Introduction to the Med way and mindful eating
- Jan 21st, 5:30p-7:30p- Change your protein and meal planning
- Jan 28th, 5:30p-7:30p- Swap your fats/protein and right-sizing your portions
- Feb 4th, 5:30p-7:30p- Eat more fruits and vegetables with mindful eating
- Feb 11th, 5:30p-7:30p- Make your grains whole and label reading
- Feb 18th, 5:30p-7:30p- Rethink your sweets and simple steps for physical activity
Registration fee is $30. You are not registration until fee is received.
For more information or to register, contact Cassidy Hall at 919-989-5380 or via email, firstname.lastname@example.org.