Med Instead of Meds
What is Med Instead of Meds?
Med Instead of Meds is a cooking and nutrition program available to be implemented with churches, civic groups, and available at the Johnston County Cooperative Extension Office.
Med Instead of Meds was created by a group of nutrition and health professionals from NC State University and the NC Division of Public Health. Eating the Med Way (Mediterranean Way) has been proven to protect against chronic illnesses. In some cases, eating the Med Way may even result in decreasing medications taken for blood pressure, high cholesterol, or diabetes- that’s why we call it “Med Instead of Meds”. We are passionate about providing people with the information and tools needed to make delicious meals for themselves and their families. We, too, are on this journey with you to transform our eating to the Med Way.
*Check with your health-care professional before changing any prescribed medications.*
There is a pre-registration fee of $40 to cover the cost of ingredients. The fee covers information, materials, and tastings for all six classes. Classes will be held at the Johnston County Agriculture Center in the Demonstration Kitchen.
Due to interest in the program, we have scheduled an additional Tuesday nights series. Click here to register for Tuesday nights series. Registration deadline September 7th. Our Monday nights Med Series is full.
Classes include instruction and hands-on cooking along with taste-testing at the end. Classes begin at 5:45p and conclude at 7:30p on the following dates:
- Tuesday, September 11th- Introduction to the Med way and mindful eating
- Tuesday, September 18th- NO CLASS
- Tuesday, September 25th- Change your protein and meal planning
- Tuesday, October 2nd- Swap your fats/protein and right-sizing your portions
- Tuesday, October 9th- Eat more fruits and vegetables with mindful eating
- Tuesday, October 16th- Make your grains whole and label reading
- Tuesday, October 23rd- Rethink your sweets and simple steps for physical activity
For more information, contact Cassidy Hobbs at 919-989-5380 or via email, email@example.com.