Med Instead of Meds Nutrition & Cooking Series Beginning in February!
What is Med Instead of Meds?
Med Instead of Meds is a cooking and nutrition program available to be implemented with churches, civic groups, and available at the N.C. Cooperative Extension of Johnston County office. Med Instead of Meds was created by a group of nutrition and health professionals from NC State University and the NC Division of Public Health. Eating the Med Way (Mediterranean Way) has been proven to protect against chronic illnesses. In some cases, eating the Med Way may even result in decreasing medications taken for blood pressure, high cholesterol, or diabetes- that’s why we call it “Med Instead of Meds.”
We are passionate about providing people with the information and tools needed to make delicious meals for themselves and their families. We, too, are on this journey with you to transform our eating to the Med Way.
*Check with your health-care professional before changing any prescribed medications.*
There is a pre-registration fee of $40 to cover the cost of ingredients. The fee covers information, materials, and tastings for all six classes.
2019 Classes will be held from 1–3 p.m. at the Johnston Agriculture Center in the Demonstration Kitchen. Classes include instruction & hands-on cooking along with taste-testing at the end.
- February 6 – Introduction to the Med way and mindful eating
- February 13 – Change your protein and meal planning
- February 20 – Swap your fats/protein and right-sizing your portions
- February 27 – Eat more fruits and vegetables with mindful eating
- March 6 – Make your grains whole and label reading
- March 13 – Rethink your sweets and simple steps for physical activity
For more information, contact Cassidy Hobbs at 919-989-5380 or via email, firstname.lastname@example.org.